Its origins date back to the mid-16th century with the collections of Duke Emanuele Filiberto of Savoy, which were later increased by Carlo Emanuele I and placed in the gallery specifically created to host the ducal collections. In 1723 Vittorio Amedeo II, King of Sardinia, entrusted the distinguished researcher Scipione Maffei with the task of organising the collection of tombstones which, together with the existing antiques, had been set up in the Palazzo dell’ Università. During the 19th century almost all the classic antiques were transferred to the Palazzo dell’ Accademia delle Scienze, which in the meantime had housed an important collection of Egyptian finds: this gave birth to the Royal Museum of Greek, Roman and Egyptian antiquities.
The new Museum of Antiquities was born in 1940 with its definitive separation from the Egyptian Museum. Since 1982, it has found an independent home in the 19th century glasshouses of Palazzo Reale, where the historic core of the collections is currently housed. The collections of Savoy antiques, to which other prestigious donations and acquisitions were later added, enable us to follow the development of the collectors’ taste and bear witness to the growth of interest in archaeology in Piedmont.
A new pavilion, set up in 1988, houses the section of finds from the Piedmont area: along the exhibition the visitor’s journey winds backwards over time to meet, one after the other, as in real archaeological digs, the many and surprising testimonies of the Piedmont of yesteryear. The basement floor of the New Wing of Palazzo Reale forms an extraordinary connection with the archaeological area of the Roman Theatre and is currently used to host temporary exhibitions, as it awaits the new staging of the collections and its link up with the Polo Reale.
Tuesdays to Saturdays: 8.30 a.m. - 7.30 p.m.
Sundays and holidays: 2 p.m. - 7.30 p.m.
The ticket office closes at 6 p.m.
Last visit at 6.30 p.m.
Closed on: Mondays
The entrance ticket includes the full visit of the Polo Reale which takes in Palazzo Reale, the Royal Armoury, the Savoy Gallery and the Archaeological Museum.
FULL PRICE 12.00 euros
REDUCED 6.00 euros (teenagers 18-25)
FREE under-18s/over-65s/teachers with school children/tour guides/staff of the Ministry for Heritage and Cultural Activities/ICOM members/the disabled and their companions/ holders of the Museum Subscription card and the Torino+Piemonte Card.
The ticket office is situated in Palazzo Reale - Piazzetta Reale 1.
Free theme visits, promoted by the Association Amici del Museo di Antichità- Onlus, every Sunday at 4 p.m. Themes of the Sunday visits and special appointments are curated by the museum’s archaeologists and highlighted in the Events section.
The museum has a cloakroom, a rest area furnished with tables and hot and cold beverage dispensing machines and rooms for educational workshops.
For groups larger than 10 people it is necessary to book the entry time. Groups should not exceed 25 people. Booking is also recommended for small groups.
There is no provision for booking a cumulative ticket or making a booking to buy a ticket.
The whole museum is accessible to people suffering from motor difficulties.
For information and to book guided visits and school trips contact the museum directly.
MUSEO ARCHEOLOGICO (ARCHAEOLOGICAL MUSEUM)
Via XX Settembre, 86
10122 - Turin
Tel: +39 011 5211106 (telephone exchange); +39 011 5212251 (off-site)
Fax: +39 011 5213145