In 1563, with the transfer of the capital of the Duchy from Chambery to Turin, Emanuele Filiberto of Savoia took up residence in the Bishop’s palace, near the Cathedral; as early as 1584, however, Carlo Emanuele I commissioned architect Ascanio Vittozzi to build a new structure. After 1643, under the regency of Maria Cristina of France, direction of the works was taken over by Carlo di Castellamonte and then Carlo Morello. At the same time the parade rooms on the first floor were furnished, characterised by exquisite ceilings in carved gilded wood with large allegorical canvases by Jan Miel and Charles Dauphin, the subjects of which extolled the virtues of the sovereign according to the iconographic programme dictated by court rhetorician Emanuele Tesauro.
In 1688 painter Daniel Seiter was called from Rome to fresco the gallery which has been known as “Daniel’s” ever since. Seiter, with the assistance of painter Bartolomeo Guidobono from Genoa, also frescoed the ground floor apartment, later known as “Madame Felicita’s”. In the late 17th century, the garden was revisited and extended by the famous French architect André Le Notre.
When Vittorio Amedeo II became King, in 1713, the so-called “command zone” was created as an annex to the palace and comprised the Secretariats, the Offices, the Teatro Regio and State Archives. The director of these operations was Messina architect Filippo Juvarra, who designed the Scissors Staircase and the Chinese Cabinet inside the palace. Different rooms were embellished by paintings by Claudio Francesco Beaumont, official painter of Carlo Emanuele III, who became King in 1730.
At the departure of Juvarra for Madrid, the position of first royal architect passed to Benedetto Alfieri, who outlined the decorative furnishings of the apartments on the second floor, renewed the Daniel Gallery and fitted out the new rooms of the Archives, frescoed by Francesco De Mura and Gregorio Guglielmi.
At the time of Carlo Alberto (1831-1849) several rooms of the noble floor under the direction of Pelagio Palagi, such as the Swiss Room and the Council Room, as well as a part of the apartments on the second floor, were renovated.
Close to Italian Unification, the new stairway of honour was built in 1862. With the transfer of the capital from Turin to Florence and subsequently to Rome, the palace progressively lost its residential functions; since 1955 it has been managed by the Superintendency for the Architectural and Landscape Heritage.
Tuesdays to Sundays: 8.30 a.m. to 7.30 p.m.
Last visit and ticket office closing time at 6 p.m.
The entrance ticket includes the full visit of the Polo Reale which takes in Palazzo Reale, the Royal Armoury, the Savoy Gallery and the Archaeological Museum.
The ticket office is situated in Palazzo Reale – Piazzetta Reale 1.
STATE APARTMENT – 1ST FLOOR
FULL PRICE 12.00 euros
REDUCED 6.00 euros (18-25 year-olds)
FREE under 18s /over 65s/teachers with school children/tour guides/staff of the Ministry for Cultural Heritage and Activities/ ICOM members/the disabled and their companions/ holders of the Museum Subscription card and the Torino+Piemonte Card
Rotated opening during the year. Check out website www.ilpalazzorealeditorino.it
FULL PRICE 6.50
REDUCED 3.25 (18-25 year-olds)
FREE under 18s /over 65s/teachers with school children/tour guides/staff of the Ministry for Heritage and Cultural Activities/ ICOM members/the disabled and their companions/ holders of the Museum Subscription card and the Torino+Piemonte Card
STATE APARTMENT 1st FLOOR.
Free visit, explanatory panels in the rooms in Italian, English, French and German. Booking is recommended for groups, maximum 25 people. Duration of the visit 50 minutes approx. Route is accessible to the disabled.
Visit with groups of maximum 25 people, accompanied at the times listed at the ticket office. Duration of the visit 50 minutes approx.
On Fridays and Saturdays the visits are accompanied by volunteers of the Association “Amici di Palazzo Reale”. The meeting point is the ticket office and groups gather in the Swiss Room. Info www.amicipalazzoreale.it.
PALAZZO REALE (ROYAL PALACE)
Piazzetta Reale 1
10122 - Turin
Tel. +39 011 4361455
Fax +39 011 4361557